A branch link will answer many common questions that you have, while another branch link allows you to access the IRS site in Spanish.

Besides having a lookup feature for free tax aide sites in your area, the AARP (formerly the American Association of Retired Persons) Web site provides good information and checklists on deductions.

In addition, you might try 211us.org, a site that advocates dialing 211 to connect people with important community services in areas where this service is available. If your community does not have a 211 call center, your area may have a 311 service.

According to Wikipedia online, the 311 system handles non-emergency municipal services. This should include information on locations set up to assist taxpayers.

The Social Security Web site suggests calling 1-800-772-1213 to get recorded information, including tax information, or to find a local Social Security office.

If a social worker already assists you with paperwork such as food stamps, Medicaid or housing vouchers, they would also be a good source for information on where to receive tax preparation help.

If you do not have a Social Security number for yourself or a dependent, you should file form SS-5 with the SSA.

Caution With Web Searches

There are many, many additional sites available on the Internet that offer free tax assistance. These can be accessed by anyone doing a Google search on "free tax help" or related terms.

Many of these are very helpful, but that is not true of all sites.

As Joe Chadwick, director of investment services for the Longevity Alliance, points out on Fox Business online, "There is a great wealth of information, but there is virtually no quality control exercised on the (Internet) as a whole, so you have to be a bit cautious, even on seemingly benign topics like taxes."