LA CROSSE, Wis. - Hundreds of people packed the gym at Aquinas High School to welcome back the boys basketball team, who won the Div. 3 State Title Saturday in Madison.
This is the Blugolds' second title in three seasons. It was an exciting day not just for students, but for the entire community, as well.
"I have young children and we went to the games down in Madison so they could see really good teams play, but also it's inspirational for them," Aquinas fan Erin Flottmeyer said. "We anticipate they'll go to Aquinas someday, so who knows? Maybe in seven or eight years, our kids will be on the court as well."
The Aquinas players said they felt the community's support the entire season.
"It's always great when a community rallies behind a team like this and we go home and bring home the gold," senior Carson Schneider said.
"It's really cool to see all the people that support us and do all the little stuff we don't see behind closed doors," said senior Bronson Koenig. "We all really appreciate it."19262180
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Russian hockey star Alex Ovechkin: 'I'm neutral'
- Rory McIlroy 'bitterly disappointed' by injury
- Obama welcomes in world champion Chicago Cubs
- Lady Gaga practicing for Super Bowl in her backyard