WEST SALEM, Wis. - Necedah native Travis Sauter won the final race of the ASA Midwest Tour season, the Oktoberfest 100 at the La Crosse Fairgrounds Speedway.
Sauter took the lead on lap 56. Seventeen laps later, a single-car wreck brought out the caution flag, and Sauter held on to the lead after the restart to take the checkered flag.
"It's cool. I mean, this is one of the bigger races there is around here, so it's neat to win it," Sauter said.
Jonathan Eilen finished fifth but was named the points champion for the 2012 ASA Midwest Tour. He entered the night with the lead, but three drivers had a mathematical chance to win the title.16897186
"It's awesome," Eilen said. "We knew that coming into it, we had to protect our ground where we were, but we knew we couldn't give up because we didn't qualify the best and we had to take a provision to get in."
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Russian hockey star Alex Ovechkin: 'I'm neutral'
- Rory McIlroy 'bitterly disappointed' by injury
- Obama welcomes in world champion Chicago Cubs
- Lady Gaga practicing for Super Bowl in her backyard