If the 49ers return to the Super Bowl next season, they will likely have a new field goal kicker. In an attempt to clear more cap room, the 49ers will release David Akers before March 12, according to a report by TheSidelineView.com's Adam Caplan. The 38-year-old place kicker is scheduled to make $3 million in 2013. Following a Pro Bowl 2011 season in which he set an NFL record with 44 field goals and scored a 49ers-record 166 points, Akers struggled in 2012. The 13-year veteran made just 69.0 percentage (29 of 42), the lowest percentage since 2000 when he became a full-time kicker.
More Sports News
- 2014 World Cup: Brazil vs. Croatia in opener
- Florida State, Auburn to square off for national championship
- No. 19 Badgers-No. 8 Gamecocks in Capital One Bowl
- Syracuse, Minnesota to meet in Texas Bowl
- Palmer, Cardinals easily beat Rams
- 2013-14 college football bowl roundup: Who's going where?
- Packers end 5-game slide, beat Falcons 22-21
- Ravens rally past Vikings 29-26 on icy field
- Report: German president to boycott Olympics