OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - Police say a 79-year-old Omaha woman embezzled more than $1.2 million from her employer and blew it gambling at casinos.
The Omaha World-Herald reports that Annie Carbullido pleaded no contest Tuesday to two counts of theft by deception and two counts of tax evasion. Her sentencing is scheduled for May 17.
Investigators say Carbullido was a bookkeeper at Travel Faire Inc. and repeatedly wrote checks for cash and hid her theft as expenses so she could obtain money for gambling. A court affidavit says Carbullido had gambled and lost roughly $1.9 million since 2003 at the Ameristar Casino in Council Bluffs, Iowa.
- Riders for Survivors raises money for Livestrong program
- Craft brewers fear last-minute regulations in budget
- Despite rain, Tomah Tractor Pull draws thousands
- Mississippi Valley Conservancy hosts Trail Trek Challenge
- Got Energy Triathlon tests athletes
- Mayo Clinic opens in Belle Square
- ReNew La Crosse celebrates neighborhood revitalization efforts
- UW-L science camps offer kids hands-on learning
- Study provides more accurate estimates of genetic breast, ovarian cancer risk
- Aspen Dental offers free dental care to veterans