(CNN) -- The situation in Ukraine "has worsened considerably" European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso said in a joint press conference with Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko in Brussels, Belgium, on Saturday. "The opening of new fronts and use of regular Russian forces is not acceptable and represents a grave transgression," Barroso said. Speaking to Russia's President Vladimir Putin by phone Friday, he urged him to change course, Barroso said. "No one's interest is served by new wars on our continent. No one's interest is served by confrontation. This is simply not the way that responsible, proud nations should behave in the 21st century."
National And World News
- Wife pleads for ISIS to release Alan Henning
- New Zealand's National Party takes election
- Fight against Ebola is grossly underfunded
- Analysts seek match on jihadist's voice
- School officials liable in alleged rape?
- Boko Haram in talks over kidnapped girls
- Clemson students challenge sex survey
- Lawmakers: Judge in abuse case should resign
- North Korea: American wanted to be famous