WINTERSET, Iowa (AP) - Officials say a West Des Moines teenager has been charged with first-degree arson in a fire that destroyed an iconic covered bridge featured in the best-selling novel "The Bridges of Madison County."
Des Moines television station KCCI reports that the 17-year-old boy faces up to 25 years in prison if he's convicted.
The Associated Press generally doesn't name juveniles charges with crimes.
The Madison County Sheriff's Office believes the teen set the covered bridge on fire early Saturday morning.
The bridge was also featured in the 1995 movie adaptation of "The Bridges of Madison County," starring Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep. The novel was written by Robert James Waller, who died in March.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries