WINTERSET, Iowa (AP) - Officials say a West Des Moines teenager has been charged with first-degree arson in a fire that destroyed an iconic covered bridge featured in the best-selling novel "The Bridges of Madison County."
Des Moines television station KCCI reports that the 17-year-old boy faces up to 25 years in prison if he's convicted.
The Associated Press generally doesn't name juveniles charges with crimes.
The Madison County Sheriff's Office believes the teen set the covered bridge on fire early Saturday morning.
The bridge was also featured in the 1995 movie adaptation of "The Bridges of Madison County," starring Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep. The novel was written by Robert James Waller, who died in March.
- Task force catches more criminals exploiting children online
- Belle Square development moves forward
- Crews begin renovations on La Crosse's Powell Park
- La Crosse officials look for input on proposed 'greenway'
- Wisconsin judge drops power line construction ban
- One week after storms, cleanup continues
- New La Crosse Fire Chief approved by Fire Commission
- ‘Go Red for Women' La Crosse luncheon highlights heart disease among women
- La Crosse city departments host ‘City Open House' for residents
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash