WINTERSET, Iowa (AP) - Officials say a West Des Moines teenager has been charged with first-degree arson in a fire that destroyed an iconic covered bridge featured in the best-selling novel "The Bridges of Madison County."
Des Moines television station KCCI reports that the 17-year-old boy faces up to 25 years in prison if he's convicted.
The Associated Press generally doesn't name juveniles charges with crimes.
The Madison County Sheriff's Office believes the teen set the covered bridge on fire early Saturday morning.
The bridge was also featured in the 1995 movie adaptation of "The Bridges of Madison County," starring Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep. The novel was written by Robert James Waller, who died in March.
- Heavy rain causes huge sink hole in La Crosse
- Innaugural Catgut Paddle brings races, food, music
- Arcadia flooding leaves behind mess, displaces residents
- Area businesses prepare for more flooding
- Minneapolis Police Chief resigns after fatal shooting
- Catholic Charities offers assistance with Disaster Recovery
- News 8 Sports Round Up-July 22, 2017
- FLW comes to Mississippi River
- Third annual Bountiful Gardens Tour takes place in La Crosse
- La Crosse hosts 27th annual rail fair