A large fire destroyed a home in rural Monroe County Wednesday night.
Cashton Fire Chief Dennis Dickman said there is no official cause of the fire, but investigators are looking at whether a heating device or electrical malfunction caused it.
The call came in around 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday at a home along County Hwy. X, about 6 miles outside of Cashton. When firefighters arrived on scene, the home was fully engulfed in flames.
No one was injured in the fire. The owner of the home, who was not there at the time, stayed at a motel Wednesday night.
The chief worked with the owner’s insurance company on Thursday. He said the insurance company will be sending an investigator to the scene to investigate further.
Firefighters from Sparta, Coon Valley and Westby assisted the Cashton Fire Department on Wednesday night. The firefighters were not only battling the fire, they were also fighting blowing snow and wind chills 20-30 below zero.