COON VALLEY, Wis. (WKBT) -

A space heater likely caused a house fire at E4501 Highway 14 just outside of Coon Valley Tuesday morning, according to the Coon Valley Fire Department.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the living room, Coon Valley Fire Chief Russ Cornford told News 8. There was minor smoke and fire damage to the room.

The 77-year-old homeowner was transported to a local hospital to be treated for exposure to the cold. Chief Cornford said the homeowner drove his tractor to a nearby gas station to report the fire at about 6:45 a.m. He wasn't wearing shoes or a coat.

The homeowner's dog died from smoke inhalation. No firefighters were injured in the incident.

The Stoddard, Viroqua and Westby Fire Departments assisted the Coon Valley Fire Department with this call.