WILMETTE, Ill. (AP) - A Chicago-area middle school is hoping to claim the world record for the most sets of twins in one grade.
Highcrest Middle School in Wilmette has 24 sets of twins in fifth grade. That's about 10 percent of the class, which has about 475 students. One set of twins is leading the effort to receive Guinness World Records recognition. School officials say Guinness required documentation and birth certificates. The students are awaiting confirmation, which could take several weeks.
Three schools currently share the record with 16 pairs of twins in one grade. They are Valley Southwoods Freshman High School in West Des Moines, Iowa; Staples High School in Westport, Conn.; and Maine South High School in Park Ridge, Ill.
Federal statistics show about 33 twins per 1,000 births in 2010.
- Holmen man sentenced for 2015 murder
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse
- Herberger's moving into former Macy's location in La Crosse