Consumer Reportshas been testing Wi-Fi-connected devices, including lighting systems, electronic door locks, smart thermostats, generators, and smart ranges and wall ovens. What really gets your attention with those products is their cool features. So Consumer Reports tests those features to make sure each works at its basic functions. That was a problem with the electronic door locks. Yes, you can use your smart phone or tablet to lock and unlock doors remotely. But none stood up to all of Consumer Reports' break-in tests. Far stronger, the "old school" Medeco Maxum deadbolt lock for $170.
Nest's Learning Thermostat has plenty of innovative features, but it costs $250 and it's harder to set up than others. With the $170 Venstar Color Touch Series, set up is a breeze. For an additional $65, you can add a Wi-Fi-connection key.
As for lighting systems, the $200 Hue systemfrom Philips lets you dim and even change the color of its bulbs. For far less, the $50 Connected by TCP is easier to set up. It doesn't change colors, but you can dim the bulbs from your cell phone.
And with some Generac generators you can add Mobile Link for $280. It notifies you if your generator stops working and automatically calls for repairs. After the first year, it costs $100 per year. Consumer Reports has more what's worth getting to make your home connected.
All Consumer Reports Material Copyright ©2014 Consumers Union of U.S. Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVEDConsumer Reports is published by Consumers Union. Both Consumer Reports and Consumers Union are not-for-profit organizations that accept no advertising. Neither has any commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor on this site.
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse