LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - UPDATED:
An officer involved shooting in La Crosse left one person dead.
At about five p.m. La Crosse police responded to the area of Houska Park for reports of a car jacking.
According to police, a mother and two children were at their vehicle when a male approached them and displayed a weapon, then demanded to take their car.
The mother was able to get out of the car with one of the children, however a one-year-child was still in the back seat and the mother was unable to get the child out before the suspect took the car.
La Crosse police located the vehicle and the suspect shortly after and a short pursuit ensued, which resulted in a crash in the area of 8th and Johnson Streets.
"As La Crosse police approached the vehicle, several officers looked in and saw the individual with the weapon and two officers discharged their weapon, shooting and ultimately resulting in the individual being dead," said Captain Jason Melby with the La Crosse Police Department.
The Division of Criminal Investigation will be investigating for the La Crosse Police Department.
There were no other injuries involved and no one is in custody at this time
Emergency crews are on scene at 8th and Jackson Streets for a report of shots fired.
We have a crew on scene and will have updates as they become available.
- Granny basketball offers on-court fun, friendship
- La Crosse County may turn to other counties to house inmates
- Walker to launch re-election campaign Nov. 5 in Waukesha
- Part of Market Street, La Crosse closed for utility work
- Water-damaged cars from Hurricane Harvey may end up for sale locally
- Wisconsin prison head says more space needed
- Hall of Fame QB Bart Starr to attend Packers game vs. Saints
- David to start for Eagles against #3 UW-Oshkosh
- West Salem to purchase land for new police department
- Trempealeau D.A. speaks out following recent ethical concerns