WATERTOWN, Wis. - Member of the Barneveld High School boys basketball team will go to the state Division 5 semifinals with heavy hearts after the mother of one of their star players died shortly after they won their sectional championship Saturday, according to the Brillion News.
According to the paper, the players learned shortly after winning the sectional championship that Jennifer Lease, 38, the mother of Barneveld sophomore star Malcolm Reed, died unexpectedly at UW Hospital in Madison of a brain aneurysm.
The paper said she collapsed at Watertown High School, where the game was being played, just before the game. She said she wanted her son to stay and play the game.
Reed was Barneveld’s top scorer in the game, scoring 13 points in the Eagles 62-42 win over Hilbert.
According to her obituary, funeral services for Lease will be held Wednesday at Life Church in Mount Horeb. Visitation is from 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tuesday at the church.
Barneveld plays Columbus Catholic in the semifinal of the Division 5 WIAA boys basketball tournament at 10:30 a.m. Friday at the Kohl Center.
- La Crosse police use nonlethal force to subdue man with knife
- Full Interview: Attorney General Brad Schimel
- Gas leak causes evacuation of homes in La Crosse neighborhood
- ‘Me too' trend highlights scope of sexual harassment, assault
- Assignment: Education - new computer science standards
- La Crosse food pantry against restricting FoodShare to healthier foods
- 'Project Search' provides internships for people with disabilities
- U.S. Rep. Ron Kind unveils plan to protect Mississippi River
- News 8 Sports Round Up - October 17, 2017
- Governor says Minnesota will offer modest bid to Amazon