LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - La Crosse's major health care providers are teaming up with the Loggers to celebrate local cancer survivors.
Mayo Clinic and Gundersen Health Systems hold a Celebrate Life event each year. Instead of having an inside picnic in 2017 the plan is to take the celebration outdoors, to a La Crosse Loggers game.
Attendees will receive a ballpark meal. Plus, organizers hope to set a record by having many cancer survivors on the field for the first pitch, while family members cheer them on from the stands.
"To celebrate with them, to plan a fun event where they are doing something that doesn't involve them getting treatment, or going through some of the side effects that they experience," says Diane Otte, the Director of Mayo's Cancer Center. "We just want to bring them out and have some fun together."
The Celebrate Life event falls on National Cancer Survivors Day -- June fourth. Tickets are available at no charge for survivors and up to four family members. For registration information follow this link.
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Two people rescued from Onalaska Spillway
- Wisconsin Democrats view Republican Gov. Walker as beatable
- Man being deported after transit officer asked about status
- Thousands traveling on Memorial Day weekend
- Community shares Memorial Day plans, traditions
- Arcadia hosts annual Broiler Days Parade
- Bauer's Market has busy weekend
- News 8 Sports Round Up- May 27, 2017
- Local Radio Shack closing permanently