SHAWANO, WI (AP) - Severe storms packing 60 mph winds damaged residential property, downed power lines and toppled trees, including one which fatally injured a motorist in Menominee County.
Emergency management officials say a woman was killed in Keshena Wednesday night when a tree fell on her vehicle.
Authorities say about a dozen homes in the Bonduel area of Shawano County sustained damage. A lightning strike caused a fire at a nursing home forcing the evacuation of approximately 13 residents. They were taken to a sister facility. National Weather Service forecasters were in Shawano County Thursday to determine if the damage was caused by a tornado.
More than 20,000 utility customers lost power in the storms. By Thursday, crews had restored service to all but about 1,000 customers.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Trump to meet congressional leaders Monday at the White House
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore
- Local event helps connect military families
- Dayton's State of the State will set stage for 2017 session
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- La Crosse County proposing tourism tax
- You participated in the Women's March. Now what?