SHAWANO, WI (AP) - Severe storms packing 60 mph winds damaged residential property, downed power lines and toppled trees, including one which fatally injured a motorist in Menominee County.
Emergency management officials say a woman was killed in Keshena Wednesday night when a tree fell on her vehicle.
Authorities say about a dozen homes in the Bonduel area of Shawano County sustained damage. A lightning strike caused a fire at a nursing home forcing the evacuation of approximately 13 residents. They were taken to a sister facility. National Weather Service forecasters were in Shawano County Thursday to determine if the damage was caused by a tornado.
More than 20,000 utility customers lost power in the storms. By Thursday, crews had restored service to all but about 1,000 customers.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather