ELEVA, Wis. - A fire Saturday afternoon in Trempealeau County sent one woman to the hospital and destroyed their family's home.
It happened around 4:45 p.m. at N51497 State Road 93, in the township of Albion. That's about one mile north of Eleva.
The lone occupant at the time of the fire, Devon Becker, told first responders she was trying to light the fireplace when an explosion occurred. Authorities say she may have been knocked unconscious for a short time. When Becker came to, the walls in the house were on fire.
Becker was able to escape on her own but she was transported to a hospital in the Twin Cities for burns. Authorities say she is in good condition.
Highway 93 was closed for approximately three hours near the home to accommodate the high number of fire tankers at the scene.
A dog and two cats also perished in the fire. The house and an attached garage are both considered a total loss.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Local students compete in dairy cook off
- Cub scouts donate bird nest boxes to La Crosse marsh
- La Crosse Police policies to be assessed in accreditation process
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns