ELEVA, Wis. - A fire Saturday afternoon in Trempealeau County sent one woman to the hospital and destroyed their family's home.
It happened around 4:45 p.m. at N51497 State Road 93, in the township of Albion. That's about one mile north of Eleva.
The lone occupant at the time of the fire, Devon Becker, told first responders she was trying to light the fireplace when an explosion occurred. Authorities say she may have been knocked unconscious for a short time. When Becker came to, the walls in the house were on fire.
Becker was able to escape on her own but she was transported to a hospital in the Twin Cities for burns. Authorities say she is in good condition.
Highway 93 was closed for approximately three hours near the home to accommodate the high number of fire tankers at the scene.
A dog and two cats also perished in the fire. The house and an attached garage are both considered a total loss.
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Handful of rat virus cases seen in Wisconsin and Illinois
- Pocan compliments Trump before skipping inauguration
- Nebraska, Iowa Guard troops assigned inauguration duties
- E. Iowa man charged in death of woman killed by cannon
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge