MARQUETTE, Mich. (AP) - The take in the first Upper Peninsula wolf hunt in four decades remains at 20, as frigid weather continues to keep the killing down.
The Michigan Department of Natural Resources says that's the total as of 6 a.m. Sunday. The department has expressed doubt that the hunt will reach its quota of 43 by year's end.
The season opened in three sections of the U.P. on Nov. 15.
The DNR says the take so far is 12 in central counties of upper Michigan, five wolves in the far western U.P. and three in the eastern U.P. Eleven of the wolves killed were females.
Before the season, the DNR estimated that Michigan had 658 wolves.
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- La Crosse rally supports transgender youth
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- Officers go 'wild' in support of Special Olympics
- Family Fest returns to La Crosse Center this weekend
- Vikings' stadium board at full strength after resignations
- Storm misses Birkie course, race canceled
- Judges express skepticism over claims in voting cases