LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Thousands of dollars is headed to local non-profits and charities, thanks to Wisconsin's Tavern League.
About 600 members of the league from across the state have been in La Crosse this week for a convention.
As the conference wrapped up, the league handed out seven $1,000 checks to local groups doing good work in our community. They include Causeway, Children's Miracle Network, Gemutlichkeit Foundation, Great Rivers United Way, Special Olympics, Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, and the North American Squirrel Association or NASA.
The United Way's portion will be spread to others in the community through grants.
"Every little bit helps, so $1,000 from the Tavern League is great, and $25 from a donor is great too," said Great Rivers United Way Exec. Director Mary Kay Wolf.
"We don't have a main charity for our association, we let the local leagues make that decision and so whatever they deem worthy in their backyards, we will support it," said Wisconsin Tavern League Exec. Director Pete Madland.
The tavern league donated about 10 million dollars across the state last year.
- Family serves others after receiving Thanksgiving meal
- La Crosse Community Thanksgiving Dinner welcomes all
- Onalaska Community Thanksgiving dinner a community effort
- Jackson County family displaced after mobile home fire
- Woman injured in Vernon County car, horse and buggy crash
- Turkey Trot spreads holiday cheer while raising money
- Kwik Trip expansion plans include 300 new jobs in La Crosse area
- Felony cases keep public defenders busy while defendants wait in jail
- No major injuries after school bus rollover in Black River Falls
- Tomah VA says progress made since 2014 overdose death