LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Thousands of dollars is headed to local non-profits and charities, thanks to Wisconsin's Tavern League.
About 600 members of the league from across the state have been in La Crosse this week for a convention.
As the conference wrapped up, the league handed out seven $1,000 checks to local groups doing good work in our community. They include Causeway, Children's Miracle Network, Gemutlichkeit Foundation, Great Rivers United Way, Special Olympics, Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, and the North American Squirrel Association or NASA.
The United Way's portion will be spread to others in the community through grants.
"Every little bit helps, so $1,000 from the Tavern League is great, and $25 from a donor is great too," said Great Rivers United Way Exec. Director Mary Kay Wolf.
"We don't have a main charity for our association, we let the local leagues make that decision and so whatever they deem worthy in their backyards, we will support it," said Wisconsin Tavern League Exec. Director Pete Madland.
The tavern league donated about 10 million dollars across the state last year.
- La Crosse Police urge boaters to be safe over weekend
- De Soto student in custody for school threat
- Man convicted of killing Wisconsin woman buried in basement
- Jury convicts man in St. Paul workplace shooting of ex-wife
- Troopers focus on Interstate 90 in South Dakota, Minnesota
- Woman jumps on hood of car to stop thief
- Judge dismisses lawsuit from teacher body-slammed by student
- Dubuque high school teacher charged in marijuana case
- 18-year-old suspect in custody in Appleton bank robbery
- Minneapolis man arrested in Columbia Heights bank robbery