MARSHFIELD, Wis. (AP) -- The body of Marshfield native who died in Afghanistan is back on American soil.
Army Staff Sgt. Joseph Altmann was killed on Christmas day in an insurgent attack in Kunar Province.
His family attended a ceremony Wednesday afternoon at Dover Air Force Base, Del.
His father John Altmann told the Marshfield News-Herald that among those who attended the ceremony were Altmann's wife, Nikki, her parents, Altmann's sister and one of Altmann's brothers.
Army Liaison Team Chaplain Garry Losey says an honor guard brought Altmann's flag-draped casket from a transport plane to a transfer vehicle, which takes the soldier's body to be prepared to be sent home.
The 27-year-old's body will arrive in Marshfield later this week. A funeral service is pending.7253178
- News 8 Investigates - Watching the Watchers
- Looking ahead: Spring road construction
- Winter thaw reveals needles in streets
- Driver identified in bizarre car crash Sunday
- Man puts meth in tip jar and cash
- Warm weather creates dangerous ice conditions
- News 8 Sports Round Up - February 20, 2017
- Oktoberfest officials move Festmaster's Ball to August
- Wisconsin Primaries includes one La Crosse district, State Superintendent
- Woman found guilty of killing bicyclist while texting