MARSHFIELD, Wis. (AP) -- The body of Marshfield native who died in Afghanistan is back on American soil.
Army Staff Sgt. Joseph Altmann was killed on Christmas day in an insurgent attack in Kunar Province.
His family attended a ceremony Wednesday afternoon at Dover Air Force Base, Del.
His father John Altmann told the Marshfield News-Herald that among those who attended the ceremony were Altmann's wife, Nikki, her parents, Altmann's sister and one of Altmann's brothers.
Army Liaison Team Chaplain Garry Losey says an honor guard brought Altmann's flag-draped casket from a transport plane to a transfer vehicle, which takes the soldier's body to be prepared to be sent home.
The 27-year-old's body will arrive in Marshfield later this week. A funeral service is pending.7253178
- Copyright 2016 by WKBT News8000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- On Your Side - Guide to Buying Glasses Online
- VIDEO: Area couples prepare for wedding season
- VIDEO: De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- VIDEO: Local event helps connect military families
- VIDEO: Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests