MARSHFIELD, Wis. (AP) -- The body of Marshfield native who died in Afghanistan is back on American soil.
Army Staff Sgt. Joseph Altmann was killed on Christmas day in an insurgent attack in Kunar Province.
His family attended a ceremony Wednesday afternoon at Dover Air Force Base, Del.
His father John Altmann told the Marshfield News-Herald that among those who attended the ceremony were Altmann's wife, Nikki, her parents, Altmann's sister and one of Altmann's brothers.
Army Liaison Team Chaplain Garry Losey says an honor guard brought Altmann's flag-draped casket from a transport plane to a transfer vehicle, which takes the soldier's body to be prepared to be sent home.
The 27-year-old's body will arrive in Marshfield later this week. A funeral service is pending.7253178
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash
- Prison launches service dog training program
- Heart disease survivor pushes forward
- Flooding affecting Memorial Day camping in La Crosse
- Father-son team arrested in Chicago-to-La Crosse drug trade, police say
- La Crosse Valley View Mall for sale by property owner
- Emergency responders take part in mass casualty drill at La Crosse airport
- Gehl Foods distributed nacho cheese linked to fatal botulism
- Bennett getting acclimated quickly to Packers
- La Crosse Center approves 10-game schedule for pro basketball team