SHAWANO, Wis. (AP) - A man institutionalized for killing his father is suing the Shawano County Sheriff's Department, claiming deputies mishandled his call for help which resulted in the homicide.
Joshua Johnson was found not guilty by reason of mental illness in the death of his father, Donald, in February 2012. Johnson is confined to a state psychiatric facility.
His lawsuit says he called 911 to report his father had sexually assaulted him, but that deputies failed to meet with him outside the presence of his father. Johnson called 911 again to say he had killed his father.
WLUK-TV says Johnson's mother has filed a companion lawsuit, making the same claims. While Johnson's litigation does not seek specific damages, Johnson's mother, Lori Boris, seeks $250,000 in damages.
Corporation Counsel Tony Kordus says Shawano County has no liability.
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Holmen continues expansion with office building groundbreaking
- West Salem Middle School raises awareness for importance of physical activity
- ‘Nursing Research on the Green' presents advances in nursing at Viterbo
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Minnesota power plant that burns turkey litter faces closure