LA CROSSE, WI - A La Crosse elementary school teacher is recognized as one of the best in the nation.
Julie Welch from Northwoods Elementary is the Wisconsin History Teacher of the Year.
She's being honored for her research based teaching strategies and promoting international education. This also means she's in the running for the National History Teacher of the Year title.
Welch says it's reaffirming that she's been doing the right thing for the 22 years she's been teaching, and at the same time is very humble. "I don't feel like this is just my award, this is our award because nothing we do in teaching is alone, we do it as a team, and so I really feel like this is an honor to our whole district," said Welch.
Welch invited some of her teaching inspirations to Thursday's ceremony, including her history teachers from 7th and 8th grade.22147682
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration