LA CROSSE, WI - A La Crosse elementary school teacher is recognized as one of the best in the nation.
Julie Welch from Northwoods Elementary is the Wisconsin History Teacher of the Year.
She's being honored for her research based teaching strategies and promoting international education. This also means she's in the running for the National History Teacher of the Year title.
Welch says it's reaffirming that she's been doing the right thing for the 22 years she's been teaching, and at the same time is very humble. "I don't feel like this is just my award, this is our award because nothing we do in teaching is alone, we do it as a team, and so I really feel like this is an honor to our whole district," said Welch.
Welch invited some of her teaching inspirations to Thursday's ceremony, including her history teachers from 7th and 8th grade.22147682
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Mom who made kids sleep in feces-covered room gets probation
- Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- Bill would eliminate last of Wisconsin's prevailing wage
- First Battalion aviation unit deploys to Middle East
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls