MILWAUKEE (AP) -- The Wisconsin Republican Party is encouraging protest candidates to run in recall elections to force a Democratic primary that would give their candidates more time to campaign.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports (http://bit.ly/lVpcaE ) the spoilers have a history of giving almost exclusively to major Republicans. They would run in Democratic primaries for seats held by Republican Sens. Randy Hopper of Fond du Lac and Luther Olsen of Ripon.
Stephan Thompson, executive director of the Republican Party of Wisconsin, said in a statement Monday that Republican senators are too busy working on the budget to campaign and the public deserves to know candidates' differences.
Nine senators -- six Republicans and three Democrats -- could face recall elections for actions on Gov. Scott Walker's bill to reduce collective bargaining for public workers.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death