MILWAUKEE (AP) -- The Wisconsin Republican Party is encouraging protest candidates to run in recall elections to force a Democratic primary that would give their candidates more time to campaign.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports (http://bit.ly/lVpcaE ) the spoilers have a history of giving almost exclusively to major Republicans. They would run in Democratic primaries for seats held by Republican Sens. Randy Hopper of Fond du Lac and Luther Olsen of Ripon.
Stephan Thompson, executive director of the Republican Party of Wisconsin, said in a statement Monday that Republican senators are too busy working on the budget to campaign and the public deserves to know candidates' differences.
Nine senators -- six Republicans and three Democrats -- could face recall elections for actions on Gov. Scott Walker's bill to reduce collective bargaining for public workers.
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- ‘Nursing Research on the Green' presents advances in nursing at Viterbo
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- GOP bill would discipline hecklers at UW speeches
- Wisconsin DOJ, feds, police set up Drug Take Back Day