MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Veteran Senate Republican Leader Scott Fitzgerald has defeated Democrat Lori Compas in Tuesday's recall elections.
RESULTS: Wisconsin Recall Election Results
Democrats angry with Republican Gov. Scott Walker's contentious plan that all but ended most public workers' union rights forced the governor, Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch, Fitzgerald and two other GOP senators into recalls. They also were trying to capture an open seat in Tuesday's elections.
Walker claimed he had to impose the union restrictions to balance the state budget. Democrats saw the moves as a direct attack on organized labor.
Compas, a Fort Atkinson photographer, has never held public office and faced a difficult fight against Fitzgerald. He has represented his southeastern Wisconsin district in the Senate for nearly two decades.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore
- Local event helps connect military families
- Dayton's State of the State will set stage for 2017 session
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- La Crosse County proposing tourism tax
- You participated in the Women's March. Now what?