MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Veteran Senate Republican Leader Scott Fitzgerald has defeated Democrat Lori Compas in Tuesday's recall elections.
RESULTS: Wisconsin Recall Election Results
Democrats angry with Republican Gov. Scott Walker's contentious plan that all but ended most public workers' union rights forced the governor, Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch, Fitzgerald and two other GOP senators into recalls. They also were trying to capture an open seat in Tuesday's elections.
Walker claimed he had to impose the union restrictions to balance the state budget. Democrats saw the moves as a direct attack on organized labor.
Compas, a Fort Atkinson photographer, has never held public office and faced a difficult fight against Fitzgerald. He has represented his southeastern Wisconsin district in the Senate for nearly two decades.
- Area hotel damaged after bizarre car crash
- Donor recipients, family meet for first time in Onalaska
- Sunday liquor sales ban on Minnesota House's chopping block
- Area organization helping so all girls can go to prom
- Taste of Trempealeau event raises money for public library
- Viroqua chef nominated for highest honor in restaurant industry
- State to contribute $5 million to La Crosse Center renovations
- La Crosse Fire Department investigating two early morning fires
- Police searching for man who robbed Holy Smokes at gun point
- Warmer than average temperatures benefit area businesses, ski tournaments