MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Veteran Senate Republican Leader Scott Fitzgerald has defeated Democrat Lori Compas in Tuesday's recall elections.
RESULTS: Wisconsin Recall Election Results
Democrats angry with Republican Gov. Scott Walker's contentious plan that all but ended most public workers' union rights forced the governor, Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch, Fitzgerald and two other GOP senators into recalls. They also were trying to capture an open seat in Tuesday's elections.
Walker claimed he had to impose the union restrictions to balance the state budget. Democrats saw the moves as a direct attack on organized labor.
Compas, a Fort Atkinson photographer, has never held public office and faced a difficult fight against Fitzgerald. He has represented his southeastern Wisconsin district in the Senate for nearly two decades.
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Two people rescued from Onalaska Spillway
- Wisconsin Democrats view Republican Gov. Walker as beatable
- Man being deported after transit officer asked about status
- Thousands traveling on Memorial Day weekend
- Community shares Memorial Day plans, traditions
- Arcadia hosts annual Broiler Days Parade
- Bauer's Market has busy weekend
- News 8 Sports Round Up- May 27, 2017
- Local Radio Shack closing permanently