MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Veteran Senate Republican Leader Scott Fitzgerald has defeated Democrat Lori Compas in Tuesday's recall elections.
RESULTS: Wisconsin Recall Election Results
Democrats angry with Republican Gov. Scott Walker's contentious plan that all but ended most public workers' union rights forced the governor, Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch, Fitzgerald and two other GOP senators into recalls. They also were trying to capture an open seat in Tuesday's elections.
Walker claimed he had to impose the union restrictions to balance the state budget. Democrats saw the moves as a direct attack on organized labor.
Compas, a Fort Atkinson photographer, has never held public office and faced a difficult fight against Fitzgerald. He has represented his southeastern Wisconsin district in the Senate for nearly two decades.
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 25, 2017
- Area church making capes for kids in pediatric ward
- VITA program helping people file their taxes
- La Crosse Children's Museum celebrates 18 years
- Lawmakers push bill to address dropped rural cellphone calls