MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- The state Republican party says it plans to run fake Democrats in four upcoming recall elections targeting Republican state senators.
GOP executive director Stephan Thompson says the move will guarantee that a Democratic primary has to be held. He says that ensures one clear date for the primary and a separate one for the general election, thereby limiting any scheduling control the Democratic Party might try to assert.
The Republican party used the same tactic last year in recall elections targeting six other GOP state senators. The move gave the incumbents more time to campaign and raise money.
If there are indeed primaries in each of the upcoming races, they'll be held May 8, with the general elections on June 5.
Thompson says the fake candidates won't actively campaign.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather