MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Anglers will get a chance later this month to fish for free.
The state Department of Natural Resources plans to offer its first free fishing winter weekend on Jan. 19 and Jan. 20. State residents and non-residents won't need any licenses or trout stamps to fish on inland waters or on Wisconsin's side of the Great Lakes and Mississippi River.
The state has offered a free fishing weekend on the first weekend in June for years. Legislators passed a law last year creating the winter weekend in an effort to boost participation in outdoor recreation.
- The Latest: Trump take executive action on oil pipelines
- Minnesota governor eyes fast return to work after collapse
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- Trial set for mom whose toddler was found wandering outside
- Wisconsin Democrats: County websites were hacked
- Bipartisan proposal would eliminate publishing minutes
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- Man accused of trying to kill unborn child arrested in NY
- Section of riverbank collapses near City Hall in Des Moines