MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Anglers will get a chance later this month to fish for free.
The state Department of Natural Resources plans to offer its first free fishing winter weekend on Jan. 19 and Jan. 20. State residents and non-residents won't need any licenses or trout stamps to fish on inland waters or on Wisconsin's side of the Great Lakes and Mississippi River.
The state has offered a free fishing weekend on the first weekend in June for years. Legislators passed a law last year creating the winter weekend in an effort to boost participation in outdoor recreation.
- Taking one for the city: La Crosse boy cleans up skate park
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Onalaska High School students plan 5K for good cause
- Ninth annual Earth Fair attracts local families
- Coulee Council on Addictions announces plans for new building