WISCONSIN RAPIDS, Wis. (AP) - Authorities in central Wisconsin say a man accidentally shot and critically injured his 25-year-old son while the father was clearing his weapon at a rifle range.
Deputies say the shooting happened Saturday about 3 p.m. at the Wood County Rifle and Pistol Range.
Investigators say 53-year-old Stephen Sammartino was clearing his weapon when it accidentally went off, hitting Joseph Sammartino in the back. The son was airlifted to a hospital, where he was in critical condition.
Deputies say they're treating the case as an accident but they're continuing to investigate.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns
- CSAs connecting fresh produce to consumers
- La Crosse 12-year-old to clean up skate park with community help
- Thousands honored in La Crosse for volunteering