WISCONSIN RAPIDS, Wis. (AP) - Authorities in central Wisconsin say a man accidentally shot and critically injured his 25-year-old son while the father was clearing his weapon at a rifle range.
Deputies say the shooting happened Saturday about 3 p.m. at the Wood County Rifle and Pistol Range.
Investigators say 53-year-old Stephen Sammartino was clearing his weapon when it accidentally went off, hitting Joseph Sammartino in the back. The son was airlifted to a hospital, where he was in critical condition.
Deputies say they're treating the case as an accident but they're continuing to investigate.
- UPDATE: Two additional suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Monday closings due to weather
- Repealing Obamacare: Trump says fast, Congress says slow
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser