SPRING VALLEY, Wis. (AP) -- - The Pierce County Sheriff's Department says an 11-year-old boy accidentally fired a handgun and struck his 9-year-old brother in the leg at their home in Spring Valley.
The incident happened Saturday afternoon. The sheriff's department says the 11-year-old was unloading the gun when he accidentally fired it. The 9-year-old was taken to a hospital in Menomonie before being airlifted to Regions Hospital in St. Paul.
The sheriff's department is investigating the shooting but has not released the victim's name. A Regions media representative says Sunday that the hospital cannot release his condition without being provided his name.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore
- Local event helps connect military families
- Dayton's State of the State will set stage for 2017 session
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- La Crosse County proposing tourism tax
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump