KIMBERLY, Wis. (AP) - A Kimberly woman who used a billboard to seek a kidney donor credits the ensuing publicity for helping her find a match.
Stephanie Henderson had a kidney transplant in the 1990s but the new kidney has also failed.
To help find a new donor, family and friends created Team Steph. The group bought a billboard along Highway 41 that read, "Young Mother Needs Live Kidney Donor Is It You?"
WBAY-TV did a story on the billboard, and someone who saw the coverage stepped forward and went through the necessary testing. A match was confirmed, and Henderson is now scheduled for surgery next week.
Team Steph member Joy Sams says she's so thankful for the news. She says there's no present that can match what Henderson is getting this Christmas.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.