ELLERY, N.Y. (AP) - A truck driver from Wisconsin is in a western New York jail after state police say they found him carrying an illegal handgun and other weapons.
Troopers conducting a commercial vehicle checkpoint Monday afternoon on Interstate 86 in the Chautauqua County town of Ellery say they were inspecting Michael Coulter's tractor-trailer when they found a Hi-Point model JCP .40-caliber pistol inside the truck.
Police say the 45-year-old Milwaukee resident didn't have a valid pistol permit for the gun and was in possession of three ammunition magazines containing 10 rounds each. New York's gun laws limit magazines to seven rounds.
Troopers say Coulter also had a dagger, billy club and metal knuckles.
He's being held in the county jail. It couldn't be determined if he had a lawyer.
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Two people rescued from Onalaska Spillway
- Wisconsin Democrats view Republican Gov. Walker as beatable
- Man being deported after transit officer asked about status
- Thousands traveling on Memorial Day weekend
- Community shares Memorial Day plans, traditions
- Arcadia hosts annual Broiler Days Parade
- Bauer's Market has busy weekend
- News 8 Sports Round Up- May 27, 2017
- Local Radio Shack closing permanently