ELLERY, N.Y. (AP) - A truck driver from Wisconsin is in a western New York jail after state police say they found him carrying an illegal handgun and other weapons.
Troopers conducting a commercial vehicle checkpoint Monday afternoon on Interstate 86 in the Chautauqua County town of Ellery say they were inspecting Michael Coulter's tractor-trailer when they found a Hi-Point model JCP .40-caliber pistol inside the truck.
Police say the 45-year-old Milwaukee resident didn't have a valid pistol permit for the gun and was in possession of three ammunition magazines containing 10 rounds each. New York's gun laws limit magazines to seven rounds.
Troopers say Coulter also had a dagger, billy club and metal knuckles.
He's being held in the county jail. It couldn't be determined if he had a lawyer.
- Hunger Task Force garners tons of food through Family Fest
- La Crosse Fire Department offering free smoke alarm installation
- Area prospective home buyers learning basics
- Sunday liquor sales heads for final Minnesota Senate vote
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- Researchers may have found link between stress and weight gain