ELLERY, N.Y. (AP) - A truck driver from Wisconsin is in a western New York jail after state police say they found him carrying an illegal handgun and other weapons.
Troopers conducting a commercial vehicle checkpoint Monday afternoon on Interstate 86 in the Chautauqua County town of Ellery say they were inspecting Michael Coulter's tractor-trailer when they found a Hi-Point model JCP .40-caliber pistol inside the truck.
Police say the 45-year-old Milwaukee resident didn't have a valid pistol permit for the gun and was in possession of three ammunition magazines containing 10 rounds each. New York's gun laws limit magazines to seven rounds.
Troopers say Coulter also had a dagger, billy club and metal knuckles.
He's being held in the county jail. It couldn't be determined if he had a lawyer.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death