MILWAUKEE (AP) - A Milwaukee program that helps former inmates get a new start has been awarded a $1.5 million federal grant.
The Center for Self-Sufficiency provides training and employment services to formerly incarcerated women and youths. The nonprofit group partners with schools, government agencies and community organizations to develop programs that help strengthen families.
The money is from the U.S. Department of Labor. It's part of a larger program that provided $32 million to programs in nine states.
The grants are designed to help former inmates overcome trauma associated with issues such as physical and sexual abuse and substance abuse. The programs that receive the money are expected to use it to help people develop job skills and learn new ones.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- News 8 Sports Round Up-April 28, 2017
- Community leaders observe Workers Memorial Day
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US