MILWAUKEE (AP) - A Milwaukee program that helps former inmates get a new start has been awarded a $1.5 million federal grant.
The Center for Self-Sufficiency provides training and employment services to formerly incarcerated women and youths. The nonprofit group partners with schools, government agencies and community organizations to develop programs that help strengthen families.
The money is from the U.S. Department of Labor. It's part of a larger program that provided $32 million to programs in nine states.
The grants are designed to help former inmates overcome trauma associated with issues such as physical and sexual abuse and substance abuse. The programs that receive the money are expected to use it to help people develop job skills and learn new ones.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Man arrested in apparent Hibbing homicide
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Icy weather brings danger
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin