WAUSAU, Wis. (AP) - A daycare provider is charged in Marathon County with spanking a baby so hard it left bruises and abrasions.
Forty-five-year-old Carla Blood, of Birnamwood, faces a felony charge of child abuse.
An investigative report says Blood told the grandfather of the 11-month-old girl when he came to pick her up that the child was "out of control" and that she spanked her because she "needed discipline."
Daily Herald Media says the grandfather took the girl to the emergency room at Langlade Hospital. Police say a doctor told investigators the injuries appeared to have been caused by a "foreign object" striking the girl.
Blood is due in court March 20. Court records do not list a defense attorney.
- Area veterans visit cemeteries, honor fallen heroes
- Riverside Memorial Day ceremony honors sea-based service members
- Service members honored at La Crosse's Memorial Day ceremony
- La Crosse celebrates Memorial Day with annual parade
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Two people rescued from Onalaska Spillway
- C-FC senior has second chance at state gold
- Bauer's Market has busy weekend
- Arcadia hosts annual Broiler Days Parade
- Wisconsin Democrats view Republican Gov. Walker as beatable