WAUSAU, Wis. (AP) - A daycare provider is charged in Marathon County with spanking a baby so hard it left bruises and abrasions.
Forty-five-year-old Carla Blood, of Birnamwood, faces a felony charge of child abuse.
An investigative report says Blood told the grandfather of the 11-month-old girl when he came to pick her up that the child was "out of control" and that she spanked her because she "needed discipline."
Daily Herald Media says the grandfather took the girl to the emergency room at Langlade Hospital. Police say a doctor told investigators the injuries appeared to have been caused by a "foreign object" striking the girl.
Blood is due in court March 20. Court records do not list a defense attorney.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore
- Local event helps connect military families
- Dayton's State of the State will set stage for 2017 session
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- La Crosse County proposing tourism tax
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump