MANITOWOC, Wis. (AP) - A Wisconsin couple planning to kayak the 2,500-mile length of the Mississippi River are preparing to embark on the next part of their journey.
An HTR Media report says Janet and Greg Gottsacker of Manitowoc have already paddled the first 500 miles. They'll begin the next leg on Wednesday.
Last spring they paddled from the river's origin to the Minneapolis area. This week they'll start in the Twin Cities and paddle 270 miles to Dubuque, Iowa. Then they'll take a few weeks off, resuming in August to paddle another 300 miles to St. Louis.
By next year they expect to reach New Orleans.
They generally camp out at night wherever they can, and then kayak from 9 a.m. to about 4 p.m.
The Gottsackers are in their mid-50s.
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Suspect in Vernon Co. standoff in custody
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Giving Motherhood a microphone
- Vikings say goodbye to Adrian Peterson, will see him Week 1 vs Saints
- Why more people may be driving hybrid vehicles
- La Crosse Recycling Fair begins this Sunday
- ‘Youth & Government Day' offers students insight into local government