MANITOWOC, Wis. (AP) - A Wisconsin couple planning to kayak the 2,500-mile length of the Mississippi River are preparing to embark on the next part of their journey.
An HTR Media report says Janet and Greg Gottsacker of Manitowoc have already paddled the first 500 miles. They'll begin the next leg on Wednesday.
Last spring they paddled from the river's origin to the Minneapolis area. This week they'll start in the Twin Cities and paddle 270 miles to Dubuque, Iowa. Then they'll take a few weeks off, resuming in August to paddle another 300 miles to St. Louis.
By next year they expect to reach New Orleans.
They generally camp out at night wherever they can, and then kayak from 9 a.m. to about 4 p.m.
The Gottsackers are in their mid-50s.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death