EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (AP) - Things only got better for the western Wisconsin teen with Down syndrome who escorted Miss Minnesota USA to his junior prom.
Besides his dream date with Danielle Hooper Saturday, Menomonie High School junior Charlie Gainey was elected prom king. Charlie's date with Hooper was arranged by a mutual friend who has a child that swims with Charlie on a Special Olympics team.
Charlie wore his grandfather's tuxedo for big event, which included dinner at a local supper club, the grand march at the high school and dance at the University of Wisconsin-Stout.
His prom king election was only icing on the cake. WEAU-TV says Charlie took part in a Special Olympics swim meet earlier Saturday and won first place in all four of his events.
- Wisconsin man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- GOP bill would discipline hecklers at UW speeches
- Wisconsin DOJ, feds, police set up Drug Take Back Day
- Wisconsin judge hears challenge to homemade bakery ban
- Teen who stabbed classmate was punched by victim
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Hate crime lawsuit settled in northern Iowa
- Milwaukee Bucks settle lawsuit over cheerleader pay
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff