EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (AP) - Things only got better for the western Wisconsin teen with Down syndrome who escorted Miss Minnesota USA to his junior prom.
Besides his dream date with Danielle Hooper Saturday, Menomonie High School junior Charlie Gainey was elected prom king. Charlie's date with Hooper was arranged by a mutual friend who has a child that swims with Charlie on a Special Olympics team.
Charlie wore his grandfather's tuxedo for big event, which included dinner at a local supper club, the grand march at the high school and dance at the University of Wisconsin-Stout.
His prom king election was only icing on the cake. WEAU-TV says Charlie took part in a Special Olympics swim meet earlier Saturday and won first place in all four of his events.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death