WINONA, Minn. (WKBT) - Officials in Winona County are voting to ban the mining, processing, and transporting of frac sand.
The Winona County Board of Commissioners voted 3-to-2 in favor of the ban at a meeting Tuesday night.
The county-wide ban had been discussed for about a year and was recently supported by nearly four dozen Winona-area businesses and other groups.
Those in favor of a ban have said they were concerned with possible health effects and potential damage to the agriculture industry.
- Copyright 2016 by WKBT News8000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- On Your Side - Guide to Buying Glasses Online
- VIDEO: Area couples prepare for wedding season
- VIDEO: De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- VIDEO: Local event helps connect military families
- VIDEO: Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests