WINONA, Minn. (WKBT) - Officials in Winona County are voting to ban the mining, processing, and transporting of frac sand.
The Winona County Board of Commissioners voted 3-to-2 in favor of the ban at a meeting Tuesday night.
The county-wide ban had been discussed for about a year and was recently supported by nearly four dozen Winona-area businesses and other groups.
Those in favor of a ban have said they were concerned with possible health effects and potential damage to the agriculture industry.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017
- Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine and Cheese Festival draws thousands
- Community garden sees rush of Earth Day volunteers