LA CROSSE, Wis. -- Gundersen Lutheran's so-called 'greatest volunteer' is being honored for her many years of service.
Mary Patros has been volunteering at the hospital since 1959, racking up an unprecedented 30,000 hours of service. Much of her time was spent helping patients get from their homes to the hospital to see the doctors.
However, before she could give so much of her time, she had to make a deal with her husband to start. She had to give up playing poker.15488762
"He never wanted me to play cards, he says you lose anyway and you used to put a $5 bill down or some money and I said I don't need it and he says you always lose, you better take it anyway," said Patros.
Mary's volunteer hours equal nearly three and a half years of her life and she says she's not done yet.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Sonar scans help divers target Lake Erie plane crash search
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- UnitedHealth tops Street 4Q forecasts
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families