LA CROSSE, Wis. -- Gundersen Lutheran's so-called 'greatest volunteer' is being honored for her many years of service.
Mary Patros has been volunteering at the hospital since 1959, racking up an unprecedented 30,000 hours of service. Much of her time was spent helping patients get from their homes to the hospital to see the doctors.
However, before she could give so much of her time, she had to make a deal with her husband to start. She had to give up playing poker.15488762
"He never wanted me to play cards, he says you lose anyway and you used to put a $5 bill down or some money and I said I don't need it and he says you always lose, you better take it anyway," said Patros.
Mary's volunteer hours equal nearly three and a half years of her life and she says she's not done yet.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Local students compete in dairy cook off
- Cub scouts donate bird nest boxes to La Crosse marsh
- La Crosse Police policies to be assessed in accreditation process
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns