LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A nationwide anti-hunger foundation is challenging local communities to step up.
The challenge is part of the Feinstein Foundation which will distribute $1,000,000 between any non-profit hunger-fighting agencies that participate.
The challenge works like this, any food or funds donated to WAFER food shelf in La Crosse between March 1st and April 30th will be totaled and final numbers will be sent to the foundation.
WAFER will then get a portion of that $1,000,000 to help with its local food programs.
Organizers say they see different trends in the amount of donations received throughout the year, but not with the need in the area. "Well, the holidays are done and so we usually see a significant decrease in donations in after the holidays have ended. It's been two months, but we still have families that are needing help," said WAFER Exec. Director Erin Waldhart.
Over the course of a year, WAFER helps more than 50,000 people.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather