ROTHSCHILD, Wis. (AP) -- A 77-year-old man is dead after crashing his car during an early morning police chase in central Wisconsin.
Rothschild police say one of Fred Abel's family members called 911 just after 2:15 a.m. Monday and reported that Abel left his home after making comments about dying. The family member also told the dispatcher that Abel had Alzheimer's disease.
Police say officers tried to stop Abel, but he led them on a 10-mile-long chase.
WAOW-TV reports that Abel hit a tree just after 2:30 a.m.
Abel was pronounced dead at the scene.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- UnitedHealth tops Street 4Q forecasts
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients