ROTHSCHILD, Wis. (AP) -- A 77-year-old man is dead after crashing his car during an early morning police chase in central Wisconsin.
Rothschild police say one of Fred Abel's family members called 911 just after 2:15 a.m. Monday and reported that Abel left his home after making comments about dying. The family member also told the dispatcher that Abel had Alzheimer's disease.
Police say officers tried to stop Abel, but he led them on a 10-mile-long chase.
WAOW-TV reports that Abel hit a tree just after 2:30 a.m.
Abel was pronounced dead at the scene.
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse