SHEBOYGAN, Wis. (AP) -- Sheboygan's departing mayor says he won't run for the job again.
Bob Ryan says he leaves the mayor's office with his head held high. Ryan was defeated in Tuesday's recall election by Terry Van Akkeren. He told supporters Tuesday night that voters had become weary of the cloud Ryan's conduct had cast over City Hall. Ryan has acknowledged that he's an alcoholic. He sought help with recovery after he passed out at a bar, where he had a physical altercation and then lied about what transpired.
The 57-year-old Van Akkeren says "it's time to be proud of Sheboygan again."
The Sheboygan Press says Van Akkeren is a former Common Council member who served eight years in the state Assembly before he was defeated last year.8861692
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands
- Minnesota city to unleash goats on invasive plants