LA CROSSE, Wis. - A Wisconsin Assembly committee has passed a bill that would allow pub or liquor store owners to sue anyone who buys alcohol illegally.
Under the legislation, people cited for underage drinking would have to pay retailers $1,000 in addition to fines for violating the law.
Lawmakers hope the bill would deter underage drinkers, citing success with a similar law in Alaska.19983586
The La Crosse Area Tavern League has been pushing for this legislation for years.
The measure passed on a 9-to-zero vote Wednesday. The full Assembly will take it up this month.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.