LA CROSSE, Wis. - A Wisconsin Assembly committee has passed a bill that would allow pub or liquor store owners to sue anyone who buys alcohol illegally.
Under the legislation, people cited for underage drinking would have to pay retailers $1,000 in addition to fines for violating the law.
Lawmakers hope the bill would deter underage drinkers, citing success with a similar law in Alaska.19983586
The La Crosse Area Tavern League has been pushing for this legislation for years.
The measure passed on a 9-to-zero vote Wednesday. The full Assembly will take it up this month.
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Holmen continues expansion with office building groundbreaking
- West Salem Middle School raises awareness for importance of physical activity
- ‘Nursing Research on the Green' presents advances in nursing at Viterbo
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Minnesota power plant that burns turkey litter faces closure