MADISON, Wis. - Two of the three men accused of attacking Wisconsin running back Montee Ball were accepted into the first-offenders program during plea and sentencing hearings Wednesday.
Twenty-one-year-old Wendell J. Venerable and 22-year-old Robert A. Wilks were each facing a single count of battery. The felony charge carries a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison and a $10,000 fine.
The two men, along with Deonte Wilson, 21, are accused of attacking Ball in August as he walked behind two friends. They allegedly knocked him to the ground and kicked him in the head and chest. Ball was left unconscious and with a concussion.
Ball has said he doesn't remember the attack and doesn't know why they jumped him.
Ball's father, Montee Ball Sr., testified at the hearing, telling the two men they had been given a huge break and the Ball family holds no malice toward them. He said he hopes the men get the counseling they need.
Police said they're still hoping to find a fourth man involved in the attack.
- Taking one for the city: La Crosse boy cleans up skate park
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Onalaska High School students plan 5K for good cause
- Ninth annual Earth Fair attracts local families
- Coulee Council on Addictions announces plans for new building