TOWN OF CHRISTIANA, WI - A La Crosse teenager was involved in a Sunday morning crash that left two people injured. It happened around 11 a.m. on Highway 14 in Vernon County, just west of Westby.
The Vernon County Sheriff's Department says 18 year old Kody Green of La Crosse crossed the center line and hit an oncoming minivan driven by Marisela Reyes-Gonzales, 32, of Evansville. The van spun around and overturned, coming to rest on its top along the shoulder of the highway.
Ana Maria Reyes-Gonzales, 38, of Fitchburg was in the van and sustained serious injuries and was taken to La Crosse's Gundersen Health System in a helicopter. She was listed in critical condition early Monday morning.
Another passenger in the minivan, Antonio Carrillo Maya, 49 of Madison, sustained non life-threatening injuries and went to Gundersen in an ambulance.
There were three children in the minivan at the time of the crash. A 13 year old girl was taken to the hospital to be checked for possible injuries, but has been released. Two young children were properly restrained in child safety seats and weren't hurt. The driver and one other adult in the minivan were also uninjured.
Kody Green sustained possible injuries, but refused medical treatment at the scene.
Authorities say Green told investigators he was tired and may have fallen asleep. He also reported swerving to avoid hitting a deer.
The crash is under investigation.
- Copyright 2016 by WKBT News8000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- On Your Side - Guide to Buying Glasses Online
- VIDEO: Area couples prepare for wedding season
- VIDEO: De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- VIDEO: Local event helps connect military families
- VIDEO: Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests