TOWN OF HAMBURG, Wis. - Two people were injured when a semi collided with a small pick-up truck Wednesday morning near Coon Valley.
The crash happened just before 11:00 a.m. Wednesday in the Town of Hamburg.
According to the Vernon Co. Sheriff's Department, 45 year old Susan Hoernel was driving a Chevrolet pick-up truck westbound on Highway 14. She was accelerating up the "West Coon Valley Hill" and lost control of her vehicle because of slippery road conditions. Her truck slid across the highway and struck a concrete barrier along the eastbound shoulder.
After Hoernel's pick-up truck struck the barrier, it traveled back into the eastbound lane and was struck by a semi driven by 75 year old Dale Joseph Goergen of Caledonia, Minnesota.
The semi went across the highway, through a guardrail and down a steep embankment, hitting several trees and rocks on its long descent and came to a stop near the bottom of the embankment.
Hoernel suffered a wrist injury and possible head injury. Goergen suffered head, chest and back injuries. Both were taken to Gundersen Lutheran in La Crosse. As of 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Goergen was listed in serious condition.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather