JANESVILLE, Wis. (AP) - A Beloit man died has after his snowmobile went into open water on Lake Koshkonong, one of at least two snowmobile fatalities in Wisconsin this weekend.
The Rock County Sheriff's Office says 47-year-old Willie A. Guzman died after his snowmobile went into the water early Saturday. His riding companion also went into the lake, but he was able get out and walked to shore to seek help. He told authorities they became disoriented because of darkness and fog.
The Department of Natural Resources says another fatal accident happened Saturday near Mercer in Iron County of northern Wisconsin. One snowmobiler crested a hill on a public trail and landed on top of an oncoming snowmobiler.
The deaths raise the number of snowmobile fatalities in Wisconsin this season to 18.
- Dayton plots big budget with public health insurance option
- A woman was arrested in Black Hills after abducting her kids
- Wisconsin manufacturing tax credit continues to grow
- Walker to deliver budget address on Feb. 8
- Community Closings & Delays due to approaching storm
- End of TPP leaves farmers and business leaders concerned
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Trial set for mom whose toddler was found wandering outside
- Education tax credit causes stir at Minnesota Legislature
- Wisconsin Democrats: County websites were hacked