STODDARD, Wis. (WKBT) - Two people are dead after a head-on collision on Highway 35 about two miles south of Stoddard near Riverview Court in the Town of Bergen, according to Vernon County Sheriff John Spears.
Sheriff Spears says a northbound vehicle, driven by 70-year-old Robert M. Williams of Stoddard, went to pass a vehicle in front of him and struck a southbound vehicle, driven by 55-year-old Margaret L. Springborn of rural DeSoto.
Springborn was transported to Gundersen Health System in La Crosse where she was later pronounced dead.
The sheriff says both victims were wearing their seat belts.
The highway was closed down for a few hours after the crash, but has since reopened.
Assisting the Vernon County Sheriff's Office was the Wisconsin State Patrol, Stoddard-Bergen Fire Department, Genoa-Harmony Fire Department, Stoddard EMS, Genoa EMS, and the Vernon County Coroner's Office.
This is the second fatal crash in Vernon County this year. Eunice H. Beagle, 45, of Stoddard, died after her minivan hit another vehicle head-on on Highway 35 just north of Windwalker Trail in the Town of Bergen on Monday, April 21.
- Hunger Task Force garners tons of food through Family Fest
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- Area prospective home buyers learning basics
- La Crosse Fire Department offering free smoke alarm installation
- Researchers may have found link between stress and weight gain
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 25, 2017