STODDARD, Wis. (WKBT) - Two people are dead after a head-on collision on Highway 35 about two miles south of Stoddard near Riverview Court in the Town of Bergen, according to Vernon County Sheriff John Spears.
Sheriff Spears says a northbound vehicle, driven by 70-year-old Robert M. Williams of Stoddard, went to pass a vehicle in front of him and struck a southbound vehicle, driven by 55-year-old Margaret L. Springborn of rural DeSoto.
Springborn was transported to Gundersen Health System in La Crosse where she was later pronounced dead.
The sheriff says both victims were wearing their seat belts.
The highway was closed down for a few hours after the crash, but has since reopened.
Assisting the Vernon County Sheriff's Office was the Wisconsin State Patrol, Stoddard-Bergen Fire Department, Genoa-Harmony Fire Department, Stoddard EMS, Genoa EMS, and the Vernon County Coroner's Office.
This is the second fatal crash in Vernon County this year. Eunice H. Beagle, 45, of Stoddard, died after her minivan hit another vehicle head-on on Highway 35 just north of Windwalker Trail in the Town of Bergen on Monday, April 21.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest