BARABOO, Wis. - An 11-year-old girl died after being pinned under a tree that fell onto her tent during a storm early Sunday morning, Sauk County officials said.
Around 4 a.m. Sauk County deputies were dispatched to the Ice Age Campground at Devils Lake State Park for reports of a tree that had fallen on a tent, according to a release.
Crews arrived and found a father and his 11-year-old daughter trapped underneath the tree, officials said. A 14-year-old boy was able to climb out after the tree fell.
Baraboo Fire Department crews were able to get the people out from underneath the tree, but the 11-year-old girl was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the release. The father and 14-year-old were transported to St. Clare Hospital.
The Department of Natural Resources released a statement Sunday: "The staff of the Department of Natural Resources would like to express their sympathies to the family of the victim. Visitor safety is the number one priority on all properties the department manages, and we do our very best to provide a safe environment for our visitors. Campgrounds are inspected regularly, and action is taken to eliminate potential hazards whenever possible. Unfortunately, not all possible events can be foreseen."
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Mom who made kids sleep in feces-covered room gets probation
- Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- Bill would eliminate last of Wisconsin's prevailing wage
- First Battalion aviation unit deploys to Middle East
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance