BARABOO, Wis. - An 11-year-old girl died after being pinned under a tree that fell onto her tent during a storm early Sunday morning, Sauk County officials said.
Around 4 a.m. Sauk County deputies were dispatched to the Ice Age Campground at Devils Lake State Park for reports of a tree that had fallen on a tent, according to a release.
Crews arrived and found a father and his 11-year-old daughter trapped underneath the tree, officials said. A 14-year-old boy was able to climb out after the tree fell.
Baraboo Fire Department crews were able to get the people out from underneath the tree, but the 11-year-old girl was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the release. The father and 14-year-old were transported to St. Clare Hospital.
The Department of Natural Resources released a statement Sunday: "The staff of the Department of Natural Resources would like to express their sympathies to the family of the victim. Visitor safety is the number one priority on all properties the department manages, and we do our very best to provide a safe environment for our visitors. Campgrounds are inspected regularly, and action is taken to eliminate potential hazards whenever possible. Unfortunately, not all possible events can be foreseen."
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- New faces breathe new life into debate on Sunday booze ban
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Pocan no longer attending inauguration
- Rodgers appears on cover of Sports Illustrated