JANESVILLE, Wis. - The Rock County sheriff says a tip led to an arrest in a hit-and-run crash that killed two motorcyclists.
An Illinois man, Sambath Pal, 24, of Park City, was taken into custody in Park City, according to Rock County Sheriff Bob Spoden. Pal is awaiting extradition to Wisconsin.
Mitchell Vance, 24, and Devin Julius, 18, died after an SUV crossed the centerline and hit the lead motorcycle and the one behind it on Highway 14 in the town of Harmony Sunday night. Detectives asked the public for tips on a suspect vehicle.
Spoden said during a Friday news conference that a tip was received by dispatchers at 9:06 a.m. Thursday from someone who wanted to remain anonymous. The man said he saw a black 2004 Nissan Infiniti QX56 in Park City that matched the description of the SUV sought by detectives with damage matching what detectives were expecting to find on the SUV.
Park City police were watching the residence where the suspect vehicle was spotted. Pal had been identified as a suspect and police detained him as he left the residence, according to Spoden.
The SUV was taken to a crime lab in Milwaukee, according to Spoden.
Pal has connections with Janesville and Rock County, according to Spoden. He said they believe he was alone in the SUV when the crash occurred.
Pal was arrested on suspicion of two counts of hit-and-run causing death.
Spoden thanked local businesses that helped with the investigation, including a car dealership and an auto parts company that helped identify the suspect vehicle based on the parts left at the scene of the crash. A billboard company also displayed the suspect vehicle as detectives were searching for it.
- La Crosse Police urge boaters to be safe over weekend
- De Soto student in custody for school threat
- Man convicted of killing Wisconsin woman buried in basement
- Jury convicts man in St. Paul workplace shooting of ex-wife
- Troopers focus on Interstate 90 in South Dakota, Minnesota
- Woman jumps on hood of car to stop thief
- Judge dismisses lawsuit from teacher body-slammed by student
- Dubuque high school teacher charged in marijuana case
- 18-year-old suspect in custody in Appleton bank robbery
- Minneapolis man arrested in Columbia Heights bank robbery