SPRINGFIELD, Minn. (AP) - A suspected carbon monoxide leak has forced an evacuation at a southern Minnesota school and sent 30 children to the hospital.
Police were called to Springfield Public School just after 9:30 a.m. Thursday after a couple of students reportedly fell ill in the school auditorium.
The entire school was evacuated. Hospital spokesman Kevin Burns says 30 elementary school students were taken to Mayo Clinic Health Center in Springfield with symptoms of possible carbon monoxide exposure such as nausea.
Burns says by Thursday night, all 30 were treated and released, and none admitted to the hospital.
Students and staff were taken to the Springfield Community Center, where students were to be picked up by parents.
The Journal of New Ulm reports firefighters ensured the building was completely evacuated and locked.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Local students compete in dairy cook off
- Cub scouts donate bird nest boxes to La Crosse marsh
- La Crosse Police policies to be assessed in accreditation process
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns