LA CROSSE, Wis. - Hospitals continue to be in need of blood donations.
To help find donors, the BloodCenter of Wisconsin set up a drive in Valley View Mall Wednesday.
Organizers say as soon as summer months roll around, donations drop. They guess it's because of kids being out of school and families taking vacation.
On top of whole blood donations, they're also looking for people to donate platelets.20076628
Those are parts of the whole blood that are taken out then the remaining blood is put back into your system. "Platelets only have a shelf life of five days, so they're always critically needed, they're used mainly for cancer and leukemia patients, they also use them for premies and a lot of traumas," said Ben Heiller from the BloodCenter.
Anyone who donated at the mall Wednesday was entered to win a $100 gift card.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration