LA CROSSE, Wis. - Hospitals continue to be in need of blood donations.
To help find donors, the BloodCenter of Wisconsin set up a drive in Valley View Mall Wednesday.
Organizers say as soon as summer months roll around, donations drop. They guess it's because of kids being out of school and families taking vacation.
On top of whole blood donations, they're also looking for people to donate platelets.20076628
Those are parts of the whole blood that are taken out then the remaining blood is put back into your system. "Platelets only have a shelf life of five days, so they're always critically needed, they're used mainly for cancer and leukemia patients, they also use them for premies and a lot of traumas," said Ben Heiller from the BloodCenter.
Anyone who donated at the mall Wednesday was entered to win a $100 gift card.
- Wisconsin man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- GOP bill would discipline hecklers at UW speeches
- Wisconsin DOJ, feds, police set up Drug Take Back Day
- Wisconsin judge hears challenge to homemade bakery ban
- Minnesota power plant that burns turkey litter faces closure
- Teen who stabbed classmate was punched by victim
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Hate crime lawsuit settled in northern Iowa
- Milwaukee Bucks settle lawsuit over cheerleader pay