LA CROSSE, WI - At least one-third of the nation expects they will be working until the day they die.
A Wells Fargo study says 37% of Americans believe they will work until they cannot anymore, and 42% say it's impossible to pay the bills while saving for retirement.
Those numbers continue to rise. One big reason for the increase is the six-year drop in median household income.
A local financial planner tells his clients it's not impossible, people just need to start habits early. "If you save 10% of your money when you're younger, in your 20's, and did it for the rest of your life and put it in growth investments, you should be close to being on track," said Brent Welch from Welshire Capital.
Welch also says people getting a later start on retirement accounts should try to put away 15% or more.22683852
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- Injured Packers Nelson, Adams could be game-time decisions
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial