LA CROSSE, WI - At least one-third of the nation expects they will be working until the day they die.
A Wells Fargo study says 37% of Americans believe they will work until they cannot anymore, and 42% say it's impossible to pay the bills while saving for retirement.
Those numbers continue to rise. One big reason for the increase is the six-year drop in median household income.
A local financial planner tells his clients it's not impossible, people just need to start habits early. "If you save 10% of your money when you're younger, in your 20's, and did it for the rest of your life and put it in growth investments, you should be close to being on track," said Brent Welch from Welshire Capital.
Welch also says people getting a later start on retirement accounts should try to put away 15% or more.22683852
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse