VIROQUA, Wis. - Watching a loved one battle cancer is never easy, but instead of sitting back and doing nothing, a Viroqua High School student decided to do something about it.
Janie Felton is a volunteer with the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life of the Viroqua Area. She's also being recognized as this month's Student Making a Difference.
For the past 3 years, Janie's been the team captain for her relay.17576088
She knew she wanted to get involved with Relay for Life after her grandfather was diagnosed with prostate cancer. "I relay because I know how many of my friends have lost relatives to cancer and I lost my great grandpa to lung cancer and my uncle was diagnosed with lymphoma and he survived that and it's mostly because of my grandpa. Through Relay for Life, I've really realized how much I love helping people and it's really heartwarming to know there's a whole community of people who care so much about one thing," said Janie.
The American Cancer society says people like Janie are vital to its mission. "It's really crucial that youth get involved in our communities as they're the ones who are going to carry the mission forward and we can get the youth out and excited, we can see the impact on the event and the actual fundraising that we're able to do," said the American Cancer Society's Andrea Pengra.
Janie has helped raise more than $5,000 over the years with Relay for Life. Most of that money stays right here locally to fund research and the various programs at the American Cancer Society.
- Wisconsin seeks to be first to drug test Medicaid applicants
- Minneapolis plastic bag ban could be blocked
- Fiserv CEO top paid executive in Wisconsin
- Task force catches more criminals exploiting children online
- Top paid CEO in Minnesota is in health care industry
- Trump schedules Iowa visit _ his first as president
- La Crosse officials look for input on proposed 'greenway'
- One week after storms, cleanup continues
- Crews begin renovations on La Crosse's Powell Park
- Belle Square development moves forward